Dear Computer Lady,
I’m a recent subscriber to The Computer Lady, which I love so much! Thank you for such a wonderful service.
I have Vista. Can you please tell me how I can save my Favorites to a jump drive?
Thank you so much!
Rebecca in TN
Vista makes it easy to save your Favorites! Ready to get started? Just follow these directions:
1. Insert your flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
2. When the autorun menu appears, click on “Open Folder to view files”.
3. Move this folder for your flash drive to one side of the screen.
4. Click on the Start Orb to open your start menu.
5. Click on your user name in the top-right section of your start menu.
6. A window will open that contains your user folders, including your documents, pictures, and favorites.
7. Position this second window so that you can see the contents of both open windows on your screen.
8. Now, drag the Favorites folder from your user window to the flash drive window.
9. When the files are finished being copied, close both windows and remove your flash drive.
If you are not sure what a jump drive is, it is one of many names give to small USB storage devices. They are often called, Thumb drives, data sticks, flash drives and jump drives. You might have even more names for these drives.
You can also use these directions to copy additional files including your documents and pictures folders.
Before you remove the flash drive, make sure you click on the “Safely remove hardware” icon in the notification area of your taskbar, and then click “Safely remove USB device”. This will prevent damage to your files.