Dear Computer Lady,
After many years of reading your newsletters and learning a bunch, I want to say THANK YOU. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referred to back issues. Now can you help me with this one?
I need to use the check symbol in some of the things I write and don’t know where to find it or create it on the key board. I’m using Window 7. I’ve tried to find help on Google only to end up more confused than when I started.
There has to be some simple way for such a little symbol that’s used all the time.
I’m not sure if there is a quick way to type the check mark symbol, but there is a way to access it and put it into your documents. You will need to use the character map. Here is how:
1. Open your document that you need to insert the check mark into. This only works in a document where you can change the font to the “Symbol” font.
2. Click on the “Start Orb” and type the word, “character” in the search box. Character Map should be highlighted at the top of the list. If it is, press the “Enter” key on your keyboard. If it is not at the top of the list, just locate it, and click on it.
3. In the Character Map window, click the drop down list and select the font named, “Symbol”.
4. Find the check mark (in my character map, it is in the 2nd column) and double click on it to copy it. (if you are not sure that it copied, click the “Copy” button to the right of the window.
5. Now switch to your document, and paste the check mark into the text. If it doesn’t look like a check mark at first, highlight it and change it to the “Symbol” font.
As long as you don’t copy anything else, you can continue to paste the check mark into your document. If you have copied something else, just copy one of the existing check marks in the document and paste it into additional locations.
PS: If typing “Character” in the search box doesn’t work for you, you can locate it by clicking on:
Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools => Character Map.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.