Dear Computer Lady,
How do I block spam that is sent to me in picture form?
For example, I have set up message rules in Outlook Express to delete messages with the word “Vi**ra” in either the subject or the message body but now these smart spammers don’t use the word in the subject and they don’t type any text. All the text has been put in the message body in a picture block. (It is not a jpg. attachment.) Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you, Barb
There is nothing worse than opening your e-mail, only to find yourself looking at a horrible picture! It has happened to all of us one time or another!
I use a great spam filtering program called Spam Sleuth which filters out 98% of the junk mail that comes to my account, but I also use one more trick to reduce my chances of looking at something I don’t want to see. I simply set my e-mail program to view all messages in plain text.
1. To set This up in Outlook Express, click on “Tools” in the menu bar, then click on “Options”.
2. In the “Options” window, click on the “Read” tab and then put a check mark in the box that says “Read all messages in Plain Text”.
3. Click “OK” to close the window and save your changes.
1. To set this up in Microsoft Outlook (part of MS Office) click on “Tools” in the menu bar, then click on “Options”.
2. In the “Options” window, click on the “Preferences” tab and then click the button near the top right corner of the window that says “E-mail Options”.
3. In the “E-mail options” window, click to put a check mark in the box that says “Read all standard mail in plain text”.
4. Click “OK” in the “E-mail Options” window and click “OK” again in the “Options” window to save your changes.
These are the only two e-mail programs I have installed on my computer at the moment. If you have a different e-mail program and want to send me directions for setting your program to plain text, just put it in a comment below.