Dear Computer Lady,
I read your column all the time and appreciate your good advice and answers to questions.
My question is this.
When I send an e-mail with Outlook Express, I don’t always want people to know my full name, only my e-mail address, how can I keep my full name from showing?
It is easy to remove your full name from outgoing e-mails.
1. Open Outlook Express and click “Tools” then “Accounts” in the menu bar.
2. In the Accounts window, click on your e-mail account in the list. You might have to click on the Mail tab first, and then click the “Properties” button on the right.
3. In the account properties window, click the “General” tab and then in the Name section, delete your last name, or clear the whole thing and put in whatever you want.
4. Click “OK” and you will be all set.
For people using Windows Mail:
1. Open Windows Mail
2. Click on “Tools” then click on “Accounts” in the menu bar.
3. In the Internet Accounts window, click on your mail account. (it should have the word, (default) at the end of the name.)
4. Click on the “Properties” button on the right.
5. In the properties window, make sure you are viewing the “General” tab and locate the “User Information” secion.
6. In the “Name:” section, remove the information you don’t want to show.
7. Click the “OK” button to save your changes and close the window.
If you are using Microsoft Outlook:
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click on “Tools” then “Account Settings…” in the menu bar.
3. Make sure you have the E-mail tab selected, then click on your email account and click “Change” in the space above.
4. In the “User Information” section, change your name as desired.
5. Click the “Next” button, then click “finish”.