I just love your newsletter! It has saved me lots of time and headaches.
I do have a question regarding sending an email to a group of people. How can I send an email to a group and hide the individual email addresses so that they cannot be seen by everyone?
I am running Windows Vista.
Thank you so much!
Maria in NJ
Before I get started answering your question, I just want to say that since you told me that you are using Vista, I am going to assume that you are also using Windows Mail to send out email messages.
There are two ways that you can send an email to a group of people.
You can just add a whole bunch of recipients to an email message, and send it.
- You can create a group of people whom you send emails to on a regular basis and then send your messages to that group.
You want to do this without revealing all the email addresses to each recipient, so lets start with method number 1.
To send an email message to multiple recipients without revealing the email addresses to everyone.
- Open Windows Mail
- Click on the “Create Mail” button in the toolbar to open a new email message
- If the BCC line is not visible, click on “View” in the menu bar, then click on “All Headers”.
- Enter all your recipients email addresses in the “Bcc” field instead of “To” or “Cc”
- Create the rest of your email message and click on the “Send” button.
The second method is to create an email group and then send a message to your group. Lets start by creating a group.
- Open Windows Mail.
- In the menu bar, click on “Tools” and then click on “Windows Contacts”.
- In the Contacts window, click on “New Contact Group” in the Command bar.
- In the “Group Name” field, type a name for your group.
- Click on the “Add to Contact Group” button.
- In the window that appears, click on the first contact you want in your group and click on the “Add” button.
- Repeat steps 5 &6 until all the contacts are in your group.
- You could also select more than one contact at a time by holding down your Ctrl key while clicking on contacts.
- When you have all your contacts added to your group, click the “OK” button at the bottom of the window.
Once you have your group created, you can follow this last set of directions to send to your group using the Bcc option.
- Open Windows Mail.
- Click on the “Create Mail” button in the command bar to open a new email message.
- IF the BCC line is not visible, click on “View” in the menu bar and then click on “All Headers”.
- Type the name of your group in the “BCC” line.
- Create the rest of your email message and click on the “Send” Button.