Dear Computer Lady,
Thank you for your newsletter. I find it an invaluable service. I have a question that I’m hoping you can help with.
I have Microsoft Outlook for my email. My maiden name appears in the “From” part of the email whenever I send one out. I cant figure out how to change my identity as it is seen by
people I email to my new married name.
Thanks very much, Elizabeth
In outlook 2003, you can change the name as follows:
1. Click on “Tools” and then “E-mail Accounts…”
2. In the “E-mail Accounts” window, click in front of “View or change existing e-mail accounts” and then click the button at the bottom that says “Next”.
3. If you have more than one e-mail address, you will see a list of them. If you only have one, it will be the only one in the window. Click on the account you want to change, then click on the button on the right that says “Change…”
4. In the next screen, you will see a section that says “Your Name:” You should see your maiden name typed there, just change it to your new married name.
5. Click the “Next” button and then the “Finish” button to save your changes.
If you are using Outlook 2007:
1. Click on “Tools” in the menu bar, then click “Account Settings…”
2. Click on the “E-mail” tab, then click once on your email account in the list.
3. Click on the “Change” button just above the list.
4. In the “Change E-mail account” dialog box, make any changes to your name that you want, then click the “Next” button at the bottom of the window.
5. Click the “Finish” and then “Close” buttons to finish the process.
If you are using Outlook Express, you will need to change it this way:
1. Click on “Tools” and then “Accounts” and click on the “Mail” tab.
2. Click on your e-mail account in the list, then click on the “Properties” button on the right.
3. The properties window for your account will open. Under “User Information” you can change your name in the “Name:” field.
If you are using Windows Mail:
1. Open Windows Mail, Click on “Tools” and then “Accounts” in the menu bar.
2. Click once on your email account, then click on the “Properties” button on the right.
3. In the email account properties window, make sure you have the “General” tab selected, and find the “Name” section.
4. Type your new name in the “Name” section.
5. Click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box to save your changes and close the window.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+