Dear Computer Lady,
I have a newer HP computer about 2 years old. It has become slow at startup and lots of virus scan popups when its running.
I think I should just reformat and start over but save my favorits and saved emails before I reformat to start clean. I can save documents on a flash drive easily but don’t know how to copy emails folders and favorites menu from IE9 and Windows Livemail.
Any advice on this? It would be a ton of copying and pasting if I copied URLs and emails individually.
I think it is a great idea to back up your files and do a clean install of Windows. HP makes this fairly easy to do, especially if you created the recovery disks when the computer was new.
Saving your favorites is easy, and saving the email is not much harder. Lets start with the favorites.
1. Insert your flash drive into a USB port, and click on “Open folder to view files” in the menu that appears.
2. Click on Start, then click on your username at the top of the right column in the start menu.
3. Arrange the two folders so that you can see both of them at the same time.
4. Drag the “Favorites” folder from your user folder, to the flash drive folder.
Once you have reformated the computer, just repeat the steps above, only drag the favorites folder from the flash drive to your user folder.
Now for the Live Mail messages.
1. Again, insert the flash drive into a USB port and click “Open Folder to View Files” in the menu that appears. Drag that window to one side of your desktop.
2. To figure out where Windows Live Mail stores the messages, open the program, and click on the tab to the left of the “Home” tab.
3. Point to “Options” in the drop down menu, then click on “Mail” in the sub menu.
4. Click on the “Advanced” tab in the Options window, then click on the “Maintenance…” button, and finally the “Store Folder…” button.
5. Highlight and copy the location of your mail files in the “Store Location” dialog box, and click the “Cancel” button to close the window. Close all of the Windows Live Mail windows.
6. Click on the “start” button and paste the location in the search box and tap the “enter” key. A window will open with all your mail files.
7. Drag the mail files and folders into the flash drive window.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.