[ad]Dear Computer Lady,
I need automatic save of email addresses when I send to someone or just want to add a sender to my Windows 8.1 system. Can you help?
Is there a way to download an Outlook Express clone for 8.1? Outlook 2013 is a dog by comparison.
It sounds like you have just switched from Windows XP to Windows 8 and you are finding that the email program with Windows 8 is sadly lacking in comparison to Outlook Express in XP.
Unfortunately, there is no Outlook Express that will work in Windows 8, however, I have found that for many of my clients, Mozilla Thunderbird is an excellent replacement for Outlook Express.
Thunderbird can be downloaded free of charge at: www.mozilla.org and is fairly easy to install and set up with your email address.
Once installed, you can easily have Thunderbird automatically save email addresses when you email someone. Here is how:
1. Open Thunderbird and click on the menu icon in the upper-right corner of the window.
2. In the menu that drops down, point to “Options”, then click on the second “Options”.
3. In the dialog box that opens, click on “Composition” in the top row.
4. Click to place a check mark in front of, “Automatically add outgoing e-mail addresses to my:” then click the drop down list to select, “Personal Address Book”.
5. Click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box to save your changes and close the dialog box.
Now, when you send an email, the recipient will be added to your address book if you don’t already have them there.
I think you will find that not only does Thunderbird have more of the features that you miss from Outlook Express, but it is also the closest thing to an OE clone for Windows 8 that you can find.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+