Dear Computer Lady,
I want to download a video file (of my husband’s memorial service) from my granddaughter’s Facebook page. She gives me permission but I don’t know how.
I have a Windows 10 Toshiba notebook.
If it cannot be done on mine, what kind of computer can it be done on?
Thank you, Beverly
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Facebook does not appear to have a way to easily download videos to your computer, but with a little bit of research and testing, I have found a simple trick using Notepad that will allow to save the video of your husband’s memorial service.
1. First, go to your granddaughter’s Facebook page and find the video.
2. Once you have the video playing, right-click on it (I seem to have to right-click twice before the context menu appears) and click on “Show Video URL” in the context menu that appears.
3. A small box will open over your video with a URL (web address) in it. Right-click once on the box, and click “Copy” in the context menu that appears.
4. Now open Notepad. Just click on the start button and type, “Notepad” (without the quotes) and click on the Notepad icon.
5. Paste the video URL into Notepad. The URL you just pasted will start with, https://www.facebook.com/ All you need to do is change the, www part of the url to mbasic so that it looks like this: https://mbasic.facebook.com/
6. Copy the entire URL from Notepad and paste it into the address bar of your web browser and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard. You should see your video.
7. Click on the video once to start it playing, then right-click on it and click “Save video as” in the context menu. You will now be able to save the video on your computer.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Join The Family
become a patron today
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+