Dear Computer Lady,
We stream Netflix through our computer with Win 8.1, and, the sound only comes from the computer.
How can we make it come through the TV?
We are using an HDMI cable between the two.
If your computer has external speakers plugged in, just unplugging the speakers will probably switch the sound to the TV.
If that doesn’t work (I always like to start with the simple solution first) you can select the sound output in the control panel. Here is how.
1. Right-click on the start button, and click on “Control Panel” in the context menu.
2. In the Control Panel, click on “Hardware and Sound”, then click on, “Manage Audio Devices”.
3. In the dialog box that opens, make sure the playback tab is selected.
4. You will see a list of audio devices, your HDMI connection will be listed. Click on your HDMI connection, then click the “Set Default” button, and click “OK”.
5. Your sound should now come through your TV, and to change it back to your speakers, just follow the above directions and change your speakers to default.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+