Missing Insert Key

Dear Computer Lady,

I have a new HP laptop with Windows 7 and it does not have an insert key on the keyboard. Is there a command I could use since I don’t have the key when I need to do an typeover?

Thanks, Sarah


Dear Sarah,

While you don’t mention what model laptop you have, I’m willing to bet that there is some sort of key or key combination for the insert key.

I am currently typing this on a small laptop with an 11 1/2 inch screen. I have an insert key, but it doesn’t have the whole word printed on the key, just the letters “Ins”.

Other laptops combine some of the keys, and require you to hold down a “function” key (sometimes abbreviated, FN) to use one of the functions.

Take a close look at your keyboard. There is probably a function key in the lower-left corner of the keyboard. The function key is usually printed with a different color. Now find a key that has more than one symbol on it. For example if a key says, “Page Up” in white letters, and “Home” in blue letters, it acts as a page up key when you press it, and as the home key when you hold down the blue “Function” key and press it.

Hopefully, this will help you locate and use your function key.


It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.

Previous Post

Are Screensavers Necessary

Next Post

Free POP or IMAP Email