Enjoy your site very much. Your information is priceless. I use bookmarks extensively and it occurred to me, if chrome crashes all those sites are not backed up. How can I store them on my external drive? I have win XP and use google chrome.
Thank You, Sam from Berwick Me
There are actually a couple of ways that you can backup your Google Chrome Bookmarks.
If you have a Google account, you can set them up to automatically sync to your Google account. The advantage to doing it this way, is that you can use Chrome on more than one computer and have access to all your bookmarks. Here is how to set this up:
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the “Customize” icon in the upper-right corner of the window. (it looks like three lines)
2. Click on “Settings” in the drop down menu.
3. A “Settings” window will appear in the main Chrome window. Click on “Settings” in the left column.
4. In the “Sign In” section, click the “Sign In” button and enter your Google account email address and password.
5. Click the button that says, “OK, sync everything”.
Repeat the steps above on each computer that you want to sync your bookmarks to.
The other way to backup your bookmarks in Google Chrome is to export them to someplace like the external drive you mentioned. Here is how to do that:
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the “Wrench” icon in the upper-right corner of the window.
2. Point to “Bookmarks” in the drop down menu, then click on “Bookmark Manager” in the sub-menu.
3. In the Bookmark Manager page, click the “Organize” menu, then click “Export Bookmarks to HTML File…”
4. A “Save As” dialog box will open. Just select the location you want to save the backup file, then click on the “Save” button.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.