Dear Computer Lady,
I have a PROBLEM!! I do have ad-aware and Spybot installed on my computer in addition to the Norton Anti-virus program. I have a free pop-up-ad stopper installed on my computer also.
However, for the last two weeks I have been receiving pop ups from “Messenger Service” I have no idea what this is and it is driving me crazy! There are tons of these messenger service ads popping up on the computer! I keep running the spyware program and ad-aware and Spybot and Norton but to no avail.
I have no idea how to stop these! Can you help me? Thanks, Shelia
Messenger Service is a component of windows that spammers have learned to take advantage of. The fact that you are getting these messages tells me that you do not have your Windows XP firewall turned on.
To turn on the firewall in Windows XP, you first need to find your network connection.
1. Click on “Start” and then “Control Panel”. With the Control Panel in Category view, click on “Network and Internet Connections”, or in classic view just click on Network Connections and skip step 2.
2. Click on Network Connections and you will see a list of your connections.
3. Right-Click on the icon that represents your internet connection, click on properties in the drop down menu.
4. Click on the Advanced Settings tab. To turn on the firewall, click to place a check mark in the firewall check box.
5. Click OK and your firewall will be turned on.
Now that you are protected by the Windows firewall, you can turn off the messenger service in XP. Here is how:
1. Click on “Start”, then “Control Panel”, “Performance & Maintenance”, “Administrative Tools”, and “Services”.
2. This will open up the “Services” window. Scroll down the list of services until you find “Messenger” and double click on Messenger.
3. In the Messenger Properties window, click on the “General” tab and next to “Startup Type” select “Disabled”. Then, Under Service Status click Stop.
4. Click “OK”. This should stop all messenger spam.