Dear Computer Lady,
We have Verizon DSL, windows 10 & very slow speed.
We were advised to remove “cookies ” to increase speed by making more room.
Do you advise this ? If so, how do we do this?
Thank you, Pat
Cookies are very small files that are left on your computer after visiting a website. They store information about your visit to that site so that the next time you visit you don’t have to enter as much information. Some cookies remember what you looked at while on the site so that you can pick up where you left off.
Removing cookies to increase your internet speed is not really true. The only exception would be if your hard drive was so full that Windows didn’t have room to function well. In today’s world of huge hard drives and lots of storage space, I have yet to see a computer running Windows 10 with that type of problem. If your computer is slow because the hard drive is running out of room, removing cookies (which are very small files) would probably not make much of a difference, and you would need to remove them every time you used the internet.
You can remove cookies in Windows 10 with the following directions:
1. Open your web browser (Since you are using Windows 10, I am going to assume you are using the Edge browser)
2. Click on the, “More” button in the upper-right corner of the window. It has a row of 3 dots on the icon.
3. Click on “Settings” in the drop down menu.
4. Find the setting that says, “Clear browsing data” and click the “Choose what to clear” button below.
5. Select the items you want to clear, then click the “Clear” button.
If you want, you can turn on the option that says, “Always clear this when I close the browser” That way, you don’t have to remember to go in and manually clear the cookies.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Join The Family
become a patron today
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+