Dear Computer Lady,
I love my iPad, but sometimes I find typing to be frustrating.
I remember in Word, I used to be able to make shortcuts for frequently typed phrases, and I was wondering if the iPad has that same ability. If it did, that would make typing with the onscreen keyboard so much easier!
I hope you can help me! Robert
I can certainly understand your frustration! That is the main reason I purchased a keyboard/cover combination for my iPad. I can use it to take notes in a class or meeting so much faster than I can typing notes with the onscreen keyboard.
Your question got me thinking, though, and I was excited to discover that you can indeed save your commonly used phrases on your iPad and then type them with a keyboard shortcut. Here is how:
1. Open the “Settings” app on your iPad.
2. Select the “General” category in the left column.
3. Tap on “Keyboard” in the right column.
4. At the bottom of the keyboard settings, tap on “Add new Shortcut…”
5. Type your phrase in the top line (I typed my name, Elizabeth Boston).
6. Type the shortcut in the bottom line (I simply used, eb)
7. Tap the “Save” button in the upper right corner of your screen
I hope this helps you, I know I’m going to spend some time creating shortcuts now… my email address, mailing address, email responses, I just keep thinking of more uses for this feature.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+