Dear Computer Lady,
When I created a spreadsheet, Excel changes the spelling of a Stock Name I typed in a column.
The only way I can keep the name from reflecting what Excel is changing it to is to put a 1 in front of the Stock Name(Example: Stock Name is ANC, Excel changes it to CAN…I do not know how to fix it except for adding the 1 infront of ANC to reflect: 1ANC.
Any ideas? Cathy
It sounds like Excel is using AutoCorrect to change your stock abbreviation to a word that it finds in its dictionary.
If this is the case, you have a couple of options. You can either turn off AutoCorrect, or you can add the stock names to the custom dictionary.
I am using Excel 2010 on my computer, but the directions should be similar:
1. Open Excel
2. Click on the “File” tab, and click “Options” in the drop down list.
3. In the Options dialog box, click “Proofing” in the left hand column.
4. Click on the “Auto Correct Options” button.
5. Click to remove the check mark from, “Replace Text As You Type”.
6. Click the “OK” button in both windows to save your changes and close the windows.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.