Dear Computer Lady,
How can I change a color picture that is in “my pictures” into a black and white picture?
Thanking you in advance for your time and attention, Helen
There is a free program, named Irfanview, that you can download and then use to convert your picture into black and white.
First, lets download Irfanview:
1. Head on over to www.irfanview.com
2. Click on “Download” on the left side of the page.
3. Or, use this link to download: http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/iview400_setup.exe
4. If you are not familiar with the process of downloading and installing a program, use my tutorial at: https://asktcl.com/tutorials/download.html
Once you have downloaded and installed Irfanview, here is how you can use it to change your picture.
1. Open Irfanview
2. Open your image, click on “File” in the menu bar, then click on “Open…” Navigate to your image, click on it, then click the “Open” button.
3. With your image in Irfanview, click on “Image” in the menu bar, then click on “Convert to Greyscale”. Your image will appear in greyscale.
4. If you want true black & white, click on “Image” in the menu bar, then click on “Decrease Color Depth”. In the window that appears, click on “2 Colors” to select, then click on the “OK” button to save your changes.
5. If you like your new picture, save it by clicking on “File” in the menu bar, then “Save As”. Be sure to give your picture a new name or you will delete the original color picture. Click “OK” to save the new picture.