Dear Computer Lady,
I really enjoy your newsletter and have learned a lot from you.
We run Windows Vista, and use Windows Mail for our email. I want to print my contact list, but can’t seem to figure out how to do it. I want only the name and email address. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time and keep up the great work. Linda
I can share with you how to print your contacts in Vista, there are only three option for printing, Memo, Business Card, and Phone list. Probably the Business card is the closest to what you are looking for since it prints out phone numbers and email addresses for each contact.
1. Open Windows Contacts by clicking the “Start Orb”, then All Programs, and finally click “Windows Contacts”. (you can also open Windows contacts, by tapping the Windows Logo key, typing “contacts”, and pressing the enter key on your keyboard)
2. Click on the contact you want to print. If you want to print more than one contact, click on the first one, then hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard while clicking on additional contacts. If you want to print them all, click on the first one, then hold down the Ctrl key while you tap the letter A to select all the contacts.
3. Click “Print” in the command bar at the top of the contacts window.
4. In the Print dialog box, select your print style (Memo, Business Card, or Phone List) and number of copies, then click the “Print” button.
If this does not give you the exact results that you are looking for, you can export your contacts to a spreadsheet, then edit the spreadsheet to reflect just the information you want to print.
First, if the command bar at the top of your contacts window does not contain the commands for import and export, you will need to change the properties of your window. Here is how to do that:
1. Right click on a blank spot in your Contacts window, and click on “Properties”. 2. In the Contacts Properties window, click on the “Customize” tab. 3. In the section that says “What kind of folder do you want?”, click on the drop down list and select “Contacts” 4. Click “OK” to save your changes.
Now, to export your contacts:
1. Click on the “Export” button in the command bar. 2. A small window will open asking you to select the format you want to export the contacts to. Click on “CSV” to select it. 3. Click the “Export” button. 4. In the next window, type a name for your file, click the “Browse” button to select a location for your file, then click the “Save” button. 5. This will take you back to the CSV Export window. Click the “Next” button here. 6. Now you will be asked to select the fields you want to export. Since you only want names and email addresses, click to put a check mark in front of “Name” and “E-mail Address”. You can click to remove the check mark from fields you don’t want included. 7. When you are all set, click the “Finish” button and your new file will be created.
Now, just open the file and you can print it.