Dear Computer Lady,
I have a question regarding Family tree maker. I know that it is no longer supported by I believe Ancestry.
I have ALL my family tree information in this program and need to add more but I am afraid I might lose it all. I do use Carbonite as backup.
Any suggestion of a better easy program to use and what is the best way to get it from family tree maker to the new program?
Thanks for all your help. Sincerely,
Juanita in Iowa
Nearly all family tree programs support a file type called, GEDCOM to import and export files between the programs. A GEDCOM file is a file format that was created specifically to allow different family tree software programs to share information with each other.
You can create a backup GEDCOM file with the following steps:
1. Click “File” in the menu bar of Family Tree Maker.
2. Click “Export” in the drop down menu.
3. A new, “Export” window will open
4. Click to select “Entire File” so that you back everything up.
5. Under “Output format” click the drop-down list and select “GEDCOM 5.5”
6. Select your desired options below the output format and click “OK”.
7. Click “OK” in the next box, the follow the prompts to select a location to save the file.
8. Click the “Save” button.
Now you can take that file and import it into the program or website that you choose.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Join The Family
become a patron today
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+