Dear Computer Lady,
I am so grateful for your newsletter!
I’m fairly tech-savvy, but the simple way you explain things is just wonderful.
I bought myself a new HP laptop with Vista for my birthday. I put a folder of photos on it, and tried to view them as a filmstrip.
The option is not even there like it is in XP. It has an option to view them as a slide show, but that’s not exactly what I want. I like the filmstrip view because I can see all the photos in the line at the bottom while viewing the one that is enlarged in the window.
Is this a Vista thing, and I’m stuck with it, or is there any way to bring back the filmstrip view?
Thank you, and thank you for putting out your newsletter! Cindy
Yes, it is a Vista thing, there is no filmstrip view in Vista.
However, you can still get the same effect with just a few simple steps.
1. Open the folder containing your pictures.
2. Click on “Organize” in the command bar, point to “Layout” and then click on “Preview Pane”.
3. This will divide your window with your picture icons on the left and a preview of your selected picture on the right.
4. Make the new preview pane whatever size you desire by pointing to the line that divides the two sections and when your cursor turns into a double sided arrow, hold down your left mouse button and drag the divider.
5. Now your pictures window will work basically the same way as the old filmstrip view. The only difference is that it will be sideways.