Dear Computer Lady,
My Windows 7 computer goes into power saving mode too quickly for my taste. I can’t even go grab a cup of coffee without having to clear the screen saver when I get back, and it isn’t long after that before it goes to sleep.
I thought I changed the settings so it wouldn’t do this as quickly, but apparently I didn’t find the right place or make the right change.
You probably have other readers with the same issue who would benefit from your exceptional knowledge on this small, but annoying, matter.
There are two places where you need to make changes. One place for the screensaver, and another for the power settings. Lets start with the screensaver.
1. Click on the Start Orb, then click on “Control Panel” in the right column.
2. In the Control Panel, click on “Appearance and Personalization”.
3. In the “Personalization” section, click on “Change Screen Saver”.
4. Enter the number of minutes you want the computer to wait before screen saver comes on and click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box.
Now for the power settings.
1. Return to the Control Panel, and click on “Hardware and Sound”.
2. Click on “Power Options”.
3. You will see one or more power plans available. One of them has already been selected. Click the link that says, “Change Plan Settings” for your selected power plan.
4. Here you will be able to change the legnth of time before the computer turns off the display, and before it goes into sleep mode.
5. Select the times you desire, and click the “Save Changes” link at the bottom.
Your computer should now be able to stay awake when you want it to.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+