Dear Computer Lady,
I now have Windows 7 and cannot find icons for my desktop shortcuts. All I get for most things is what looks like a blank paper.
Can you tell me how to get to the icons that were in all other versions of Windows? Terrie
You can select which system icons appear on your desktop using the “Desktop Icon Settings” dialog box. Here are the directions.
1. Right click on a blank spot on your desktop.
2. Click on “Properties” in the context menu that appears.
3. A Control Panel window will open that allows you to change the visual elements and sounds on your computer.
4. In the column on the left side of that window, you will see a list of links. Click on the link that says, “Change desktop icons”
5. The Desktop Icon Settings dialog box will open. In the top section of that dialog box, click to put a check mark in front of the icons you want to have on your desktop. Usually, in Windows 7, the only one selected is the “Recycle Bin” icon. You can add icons for your Computer, User Files, Network and Control Panel.
6. When you have checked off the icons you want to add, click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box to save your changes and close the window.