Dear Computer Lady,
Whenever I search for files on my computer, using a windows-based operating system (XP or Windows 7) I have an option to view them as Thumbnails, Icons, Tiles, List or Details – I usually like to see the files in a default view of “Details” with the most recent at the top.
Is there a way to set this preference? Amy
Yes, there is a way to set the default view to “Details” or any of the other viewing options. Here is how to do that in Windows 7.
1. Open any folder on your computer, and make sure the view is set the way you want it. In this case, we are using “Details”, which is my favorite view as well.
2. Click on the “Organize” tab in the command bar, and click on “Folder and Search Options” in the drop down menu.
3. Click on the “View” tab in the folder options dialog box.
4. Click on the “Apply to Folders” button in the “Folder views” section.
5. Click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box to save your changes and close the window.
The same directions should work for Windows Vista.
Windows XP is similar, just click on “Tools” in the menu bar, then click on “Folder Options”.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.