Dear Computer Lady,
I recently purchased a new computer with Microsoft Windows 7 as my new operating system.
I am trying to find out how to import my Windows XP Address Book to the new computer.
Your help would be appreciated, thanks Jane
First, you need to export the address book from your old computer…
1. On your old computer, click on “Start”, go to “Programs”, “Accessories” and then click on “Address Book”.
2. In the Address Book window, click on “File” in the menu bar, point to “Export” and click on “Address Book (WAB)…”
3. A window will appear for you to select the location you want to save the file to.
You can save it to a floppy disk, a usb drive, or put it in “My Documents” where it can later be saved to a CD.
Once you have selected the location, type a name for your file, and then click on the “Save” button.
4. A small window will inform you that you have successfully exported your address book file.
Now, put the disk containing the exported file in your new computer and get ready to import!
1. On your new Windows 7 computer, insert the disk or thumb drive.
2. Open the window for your disk, and drag the address book file to your desktop.
3. Open the “Contacts folder by clicking on “Start” then “All Programs” and “Windows Contacts”.
Or, you can tap the windows logo key on your keyboard, type Contacts and press enter.
4. In the Contacts folder, click the “Import” button on the command bar.
5. Click to select “Windows Address Book” file from the types of files available, and click the “Import” button.
6. A new dialog box will open, click on “Desktop” on the left side of the box, then click on your address book file on the right, and click “Open”.
7. Your address book contacts should now appear in your contacts folder.
An even easier way, is to drag the .wab file to your desktop, and then double click on it. Windows will display a small dialog box asking if you want to import the address book.