[ad]Dear Computer Lady,
Every time I sit down at my Windows 8 computer, a screen comes up with a picture, the time and date displayed. I have to click on the picture in order to start using my computer.
I don’t need to know the date and time, and I don’t want the extra step of clicking on the picture before I can start using the computer.
Is there any way to skip this step?
The screen you are describing sounds like the Windows 8 lock screen, and yes, you can disable the lock screen and skip that extra step when starting your computer. The secret is knowing where to find the setting. 😉
Here is how:
1. Tap the windows logo key on your keyboard, and type, gpedit.msc then, press the enter key on your keyboard. This will open the “Local Group Policy Editor” window.
2. In the left column of the, Local Group Policy Editor, window, click the small triangle to the left of, “Administrative Templates” to expand the menu.
3. In the same manner, expand “Control Panel” and then click on “Personalization”.
4. In the right column of the window, find, “Do not display the lock screen” and double click on it. A new dialog box will open.
5. In this new dialog box, click to select, “Enabled” then click the “OK” button at the bottom of the dialog box.
Now, when you wake your computer, you will not see the lock screen.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+