Dear Computer Lady,
I have been ready your newsletter for more than four years now, and in spite of being fairly computer literate, I have learned a lot from you.
Now I have a direct question for you. Two or three years ago I noticed that a lot of temporary files that used to be stored temporarily in one of the folders under Windows “Temporary Internet Files” Folder stopped showing up in Windows Explorer. I didn’t worry too much about it then, but I was just listening to some audio files from the Internet, and I went to look for them in the in the Temporary folders. As per usual they didn’t show up. But then I did a “Search” for the filename on my C: drive, and l was shocked to find that the files were actually in one of the “Temporary Internet Files” folders, even though they didn’t show up as being in the “Temporary Internet Files” folder. Can you tell me why all the files in the folder are not showing up? And what do I need to do to get those files to show up in Internet Explorer again?
Thanks for your help! Gale
There are a few settings on your computer that would cause your files to be hidden. Here is how you can get all the files on your computer to show.
1. Click on “Start” and then click on “My Computer”.
2. In the “My Computer” window, click on “Tools” in the menu bar, then click on “Folder Options”.
3. In the “Folder Options” window, click on the “View” tab.
4. On the “View” page, look in the list under “Advanced Settings”.
5. Click to put a check mark in front of “Display the contents of system folders”.
6. Click to select “Show hidden files and folders”.
7. Make sure that there is no check mark in front of “Hide protected operating system files”
8. Click the “OK” button at the bottom of the window to save your changes and close the window.
Once you have made these changes, you need to be careful what files you chose to delete on your computer. These files are usually hidden to protect them from being deleted.
If you delete the wrong files, your computer will no longer work.